Thursday, 12 September 2013

Rooting and unlocking my new Android mobile phone: LG-E400

Last week I got an LG-E400 for free because her owner was not really taking advantage of all its features. The phone was locked to her phone network, so I had to unlock it and root it in order to make it usable. Since I will likely need again this information in the future, I write down some of the resources used.

First thing was to hard reset it, thanks to this page, and then root it. To root it I tried with SuperOneClick, but I was having troubles. As it turns out the firmware of my phone was V10P, and so the version of SuperOneClick I was using was not able to root it. But thanks to this post by AlexPS I got it rooted without problems (it didn't work using "mono" in Linux or in a Windows virtual machine, so I had to borrow a real Windows PC just for this). 

To unlock the phone from its network, I was looking at pages like and, but the method in the second link didn't work, and the first one was for another model and I was not sure it would work, so in the end I went the easy way: just went to CodesIMEIS page, and by using the promotional code "GSM" (I got that info from some Forum I can't remember anymore), the phone was unlocked for 1€ in about 10 minutes. Then to access the Internet, I followed the instructions from my network provider to configure the phone properly.

The next thing was to increase the very small system memory (157MB, where all the applications would go by default), so that I could install more applications. For some reason the installed SuperUser app was giving me trouble, so I updated it before continuing. The next thing was to prepare a MicroSD card to hold the installed apps. Despite what it is said in some guides, I had to partition my 2GB card as 999MB FAT32 (Logical) and 898MB ext2 (Primary), following the advice at  (pictures, etc. go to the FAT32 partition, and the installed applications go to the ext2 partition).

Then, the next thing was to download Link2SD, so I followed Part C of the instructions at

After that, I installed a number of applications (Angry Birds, Endomondo K-9 Mail, ...), and the internal memory status is quite healthy, while I see that 181MB of application data have gone to the MicroSD card. Bingo!

No comments: