Tuesday 8 December 2009

Ripping a DVD with many tracks into a single AVI file

Since I'm likely to forget... Starting a few months ago, I now make a copy of every CD or DVD that I buy. This is normally a no-brainer, but today I had to copy a DVD that has many content tracks (usually the "interesting" content is in just one of the big tracks, while the "auxiliary" tracks can be discarded). I normally use dvd::rip, but for this I realized that AcidRip was a better option, since it lets me queue the ripping of all the tracks and then I can go away until they are finished (with dvd::rip I didn't find a way to do that). Once all the tracks are ripped into individual AVI files, I tried to put them all together with the aptly named avimerge, but I found (and apparently this happens to other people as well) that the audio gets broken, so I did it with menconder (got the thip from here):

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy part1.avi part2.avi part3.avi -o WHOLE-THING.avi

No comments: